18.10.07

You're Going to Argue with This Guy?



But I cannot believe that the expression of one’s ideas has anything to do with the making of literature. I don’t believe that ideas are a novelist’s problem. Ideas should be left to the people who have ideas—philosophers, politicians, teachers. Artists can be extremely dull in terms of what they believe, what they say, and what they do in their lives. Writers don’t think. . . . It was [William Carlos] Williams who said that "The poet’s intelligence is made manifest in his poem." If one is a writer one must work with words, and the words have to be set down in such a way that something beautiful is made.

Gilbert Sorrentino, in this interview.

3 comments:

Cup said...

How timely. My Sorrentino was delivered yesterday.

Cup said...

Mr. Crusherman:

Isn't it the purpose of a blog to post columns, keeping your fans informed and on the edge of their literary seats?

zombieswan said...

Hmmmm. Nope. He looks kinda crabby. But maybe he's misunderstood? :)

Maybe I'd argue with him AFTER I softened him up with a good dinner & a bottle of wine. Then, he'd probably be smiley and I could go in for the kill. :)